What Is Stephen Ministry?
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide one-to-one Christian care to people in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry. The identity of those receiving care and everything they discuss with a Stephen Minister remain private.
A Stephen Minister Is …
- A child of God who walks beside someone who is hurting.
- A congregation member who is carefully selected to serve in this role because of his or her care giving gifts.
- A layperson with 50 hours of training in providing high-quality, distinctively Christian care.
- A caring Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages.
- Someone who meets faithfully each week with his or her care receiver for as long as there’s a need.
Stephen Ministers Care for People Facing Tough Times
We all experience challenges in life-times when we could benefit from care and support. Stephen Ministers can provide the emotional and spiritual care we need when faced with a crisis or difficulty such as-
- Loss of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual crisis
- Unemployment or a job crisis
- A terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage, or infertility
- A chronic illness
- Recovery after an accident or disaster
- Many other life challenges
Stephen Ministry Is Your Ministry
You play an important role in our Stephen Ministry. Here’s what you can do:
- Pray for God to bring hope and healing to hurting people through our Stephen Ministry.
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need. God doesn’t expect you to bear your burdens alone.
- Tell a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative who is hurting about our Stephen Ministry.
- If you are a compassionate person and a good listener, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister.
Stephen Leaders Are …
Trained leaders in our congregation who support and direct our Stephen Ministry.
- If you could benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister .. .
- If you know someone who might benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister . ..
- If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Stephen Minister …
- If you have any other questions about Stephen Ministry …
. . . contact Stephen Ministry Leader Kristine Nickel, or Co-Pastors Bruce and Karen Wismer.
Stephen Ministry Multiplies Ministry
Pastors will always be on the front lines of care, especially during times of crisis. But there are always many more needs for ongoing, one-to-one care than pastors can effectively meet by themselves.
Stephen Ministry provides a thoroughly biblical solution-equipping God’s people for ministry. Gifted laypeople receive training to support and extend the care that pastors continue to provide.
Stephen Ministers reach out with God’s love to who are hurting-congregation members alike.
- Could you benefit from the confidential, one-to-one care and support of a Stephen Minister?
- Do you know someone else-perhaps a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative who could benefit from Stephen Ministry? (Feel free to pass along this brochure.)
- Are you interested in becoming a Stephen Minister?