I read an article entitled “The Many Benefits of Eating Comfort Food” and here are a few of the benefits the author listed
1) It makes you feel safe: There is a sense of security when you are eating comfort food.
2) It makes you happy: You remember those happier moments; it reminds you of those events that make you happy. My guess is that on this Souper bowl Sunday comfort food will be consumed in great quantities.
3) It makes us feel better: When we are sick, comfort food makes us feel better. It reminds me of my mother, who, whenever I was sick, she would cook my favorite soup. Whether it was true or not somehow, it always managed to make me recover from a flu or cold much quicker.
4) It makes us feel loved: When someone makes an effort to prepare comfort food for us, we feel that we are important and well loved.
5) It makes us grounded. During rough times in our lives we seek to ground ourselves and find that sense of self that often gets lost when life becomes hectic and crazy.
We give you permission to enjoy some comfort food.
Scripture Reading: Matthew 25:14-18
For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money…”
What is your favorite comfort food?
Who are some of your favorite people?
How are you sharing what you have been given?
Prayer: Holy God, I am so grateful for food to eat and
friends to love and a life filled with meaning. Amen.
To view previous readings click HERE